all threads All Threads ›› weightlifting for weightloss question ›› new reply Post Reply
Yodel Toast

que te follen
20,134 Posts
35/F/PA

offline   (14)
March 21 2012 3:43 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Ok, so after delaying for several months, I'm finally going to start the weighifting routine that user deadlift came up with for me.

My question is, is it better to have a high heart rate when lifting? Should I warm up with some cardio for like 5-10 minutes before I hit the weights?

Also, is it better to just do the weightlifting for now and not integrate a lot of cardio at first?

Jim McGuire
Clarity
5,610 Posts
31/M/NJ

offline   (1)
March 21 2012 3:48 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I always warm up with light cardio (no resistance on incline/bike, slow) for 5-10 minutes before I lift. It's good to get the blood flowing a little bit before you jump right into lifting. Not everyone does this, but I would recommend it, especially if you're trying to lose weight as well.
Yodel Toast
que te follen
20,134 Posts
35/F/PA

offline   (14)
March 21 2012 3:53 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Thanks, I just remember hearing Brickhouse talking about how he does like an hour of cardio every day and someone saying that was a bad idea because it makes it harder to push through a plateau?

I could totally be misremembering that though...

I think that lifting 3 days a week and dance party will help kick my ass back into shape.
RyanSchwenksville
Stoked,Pumped
11,858 Posts
34/M/PA

offline     (8)
March 21 2012 3:56 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
It's always good to get the blood flowing, but be careful not to use up a ton of energy doing cardio because you will be taking away from the energy you'll need to use max effort for the lifts. Good practice would also be to warm up each exercise with low weights so you are functionally stretching all the muscles you will be using with heavier weights.

/deadlift rant
chocolate juice
game over
11,692 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (20)
March 21 2012 3:57 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: Joshua Porphy

pick things up and then put them down

Yodel Toast
que te follen
20,134 Posts
35/F/PA

offline   (14)
March 21 2012 3:58 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
thank you
Dianana
8====D
66,486 Posts
36/F/PA

offline   (8)
March 21 2012 4:00 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I would always warm up for 15 minutes before lifting. I also recommend starting with the most hated exercise because you're more likely to not half-ass it at the beginning of the work out.
Davey.
Baby Cole
43,573 Posts
33/M/NA

offline   (13)
March 21 2012 4:06 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
dont forget to stretch. warming up on a treadmill or doing a few lightweight reps doesnt replace that like people think.
Yodel Toast
que te follen
20,134 Posts
35/F/PA

offline   (14)
March 21 2012 4:08 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: Dianana

I would always warm up for 15 minutes before lifting. I also recommend starting with the most hated exercise because you're more likely to not half-ass it at the beginning of the work out.

so I guess squats and lunges are first then. ugh.

Originally posted by: Davey.

dont forget to stretch. warming up on a treadmill or doing a few lightweight reps doesnt replace that like people think.

truth.

thanks guys, any other advice on this is greatly appreciated. I have no motivation other than I'm tired of wearing stretchy jeans.
RyanSchwenksville
Stoked,Pumped
11,858 Posts
34/M/PA

offline     (8)
March 21 2012 4:08 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I would imagine if deadlift created the workout for her he may have put it in order for a reason though. For example I would never squat last because I physically wouldn't be able to lift to my potential after doing everything else
Yodel Toast
que te follen
20,134 Posts
35/F/PA

offline   (14)
March 21 2012 4:12 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
well now I can't even find it in my email.

Chris, can you please send me that again?
xAJDELAWAREx
Oh this site?
42,128 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (5)
March 21 2012 4:24 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: Davey.

Apparnetly they have found that by stretching before a work out, you actually increase your risk of injury, and you should stretch afterwards instead. But as with all exercise related discussion, its chock full of contradictory information dependong on what day of hte week it is.
the jizzler
cum @ me
14,574 Posts
33/M/PA

offline   (9)
March 21 2012 4:31 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
someone reccomend supplements. i do a whey protein post workout. should i stack w/ creatine?

also, i've been hitting the gym more regularly than i have since probably sophomore year of college. feels goodman. i've noticed my mood improving as well.
Pb609
Web Bitch
33,523 Posts
36/M/NJ

offline  mobile reply     (35)
March 21 2012 4:57 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Matt Leek and I started changing up our workout.

We stretch just a little, get right into our workout, usually heavy, heavy-ish. Then we do abs. THEN we do cardio which consists of usually running a mile, then high-speed, high-incline treadmill walking or about 30mins on the cross ramp machine.

I can say that Matt has been melting weight off and gaining strength. Im not melting weigh off but he has a much better, stricter diet than I do.
Yodel Toast
que te follen
20,134 Posts
35/F/PA

offline   (14)
March 21 2012 5:02 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I wish I could run. my ankles give out after the first few steps. every. time.
RyanSchwenksville
Stoked,Pumped
11,858 Posts
34/M/PA

offline     (8)
March 21 2012 5:04 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Ideally I would get about 30 pounds lighter than I am currently but I am happy with my progress over the last 4 months since I started going to the gym. i've lost 20ish pounds and added a ton of weight to all of the major lifts (bench, squat dl etc...) so whatever. just trying to reach wrecking machine status
all threads All Threads ›› weightlifting for weightloss question ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: weightlifting for weightloss question

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?