all threads All Threads ›› so lets just say... ›› new reply Post Reply
Aunt_Pee

mr. birthdaysex
8,636 Posts
36/M/NC

offline   (12)
June 4 2012 10:28 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
youre on unemployment. you have job opportunities but they pay minimum wage and you will be bringing home less than your employment security check is once you begin working. not only that, but you will also lose your payment and ability to fuel your vehicle and pay bills until you receive the first check from said jobs that have taken interest in you....

do you A) take the job , just to have a job. no questions asked.

or

B) remain unemployed and continue to collect checks and pay bills until the job you actually want ( or at the very least a job that pays a dollar more than minimum wage

deadlift
sees air
15,543 Posts
66/M/NA

offline   (18)
June 4 2012 10:30 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
depends on your mental state. what i mean is, how are you handling the unemployment? are you depressed and down in the dumps? i know i would feel pretty fucking useless after a while of doing nothing and taking the job that pays less would probably be better for my mental health.
Aunt_Pee
mr. birthdaysex
8,636 Posts
36/M/NC

offline   (12)
June 4 2012 10:34 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
i am siding with taking these supplemental checks , believe me... theyre nothing to write home about. barely enough to pay the bills and llive hence my loss of cable and internet until i had it restored the illegal way.

but it doesnt make sense to me to take a shitty paying job just to have a job and make pennies more than i get for sitting on my ass. i have another 20 weeks of unemp i can collect, id like to use this opportunity to find a decent job.

just looking for smart ass comments and or real world advice from a board full of people with grown up jobs that still dont take them selves too seriously
Aunt_Pee
mr. birthdaysex
8,636 Posts
36/M/NC

offline   (12)
June 4 2012 10:36 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: deadlift

depends on your mental state. what i mean is, how are you handling the unemployment? are you depressed and down in the dumps? i know i would feel pretty fucking useless after a while of doing nothing and taking the job that pays less would probably be better for my mental health.

yeah man, honestly my biggest problem is the depression that comes from sitting around all day not working. it is driving me insane, like i said though i dont want to just jump into any job just for that when i actually have the opportunity to seek better employment while not worrying how im going ot pay my bills
Tim E. Husk
slavar som djur
19,110 Posts
53/M/NA

offline   (1)
June 4 2012 10:36 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
'The job you want' is irrelevant, but a job that pays a living wage is essential. I'd hold out for a while longer.

I say this as someone who would be in the same situation but for the fact that I don't even qualify for unemployment - within the next two or three weeks I have to decide whether to stay where I am with no decent paying job prospects or move across the country to a place I can live for free, but destroy my savings in the process... and have no decent paying job prospects.
brian.
new cocks
146,076 Posts
34/M/IL

offline   (9)
June 4 2012 10:38 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
20 more weeks of higher income sounds like something you should consider. i wouldnt look at it as 20 weeks, just look at it as one more day while you try to look for something. if that buys you the ability to push harder and longer* in the job hunt, go for it

*thats what she said
Aunt_Pee
mr. birthdaysex
8,636 Posts
36/M/NC

offline   (12)
June 4 2012 10:39 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
i also have no college education so ive considered working part time and applying for a pale grant so i can enroll in a com college here. from what i understand there would be some overage in the pay for books and classes that could help me afford living,

anyone here ever got gov. assis. for school and housing. how did it work? etc etc
Captain Ahab
HONKY TONK BLUES
45,133 Posts
38/M/PA

online   (18)
June 4 2012 10:39 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
B) and find a job thatll pay you cash moneys.
Aunt_Pee
mr. birthdaysex
8,636 Posts
36/M/NC

offline   (12)
June 4 2012 10:40 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
that being said i am terrified of student loans and would never apply for them. seems like a wishing well of debt that is unescapable once you dive in
Aunt_Pee
mr. birthdaysex
8,636 Posts
36/M/NC

offline   (12)
June 4 2012 10:41 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: barbarossa

'The job you want' is irrelevant, but a job that pays a living wage is essential. I'd hold out for a while longer.

I say this as someone who would be in the same situation but for the fact that I don't even qualify for unemployment - within the next two or three weeks I have to decide whether to stay where I am with no decent paying job prospects or move across the country to a place I can live for free, but destroy my savings in the process... and have no decent paying job prospects.

yeah " the job you want " was more or less my way of saying " a job that pays a decent living wage"
Tim E. Husk
slavar som djur
19,110 Posts
53/M/NA

offline   (1)
June 4 2012 10:43 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
What are your education goals?
Aunt_Pee
mr. birthdaysex
8,636 Posts
36/M/NC

offline   (12)
June 4 2012 10:51 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
i had considered enrolling for electronics/electronic tech first. id like to fix appliances, small house hold electronic repairs, also refurbishing xboxs and ps3s, fixing and possibly building class a amplifiers and pedal in my spare time.

id take that class for two years earn the assoc. degree in that and then go back immediately for the electriction classes and be certified for bigger new home or business construction, generally where the money is really at.
Aunt_Pee
mr. birthdaysex
8,636 Posts
36/M/NC

offline   (12)
June 4 2012 10:56 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
forgive my bad spelling and grammar. im flying through these thoughts and not proof reading my posts.
Captain Ahab
HONKY TONK BLUES
45,133 Posts
38/M/PA

online   (18)
June 4 2012 11:11 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
go to a technical school for electronics
Yodel Toast
que te follen
20,134 Posts
35/F/PA

offline   (14)
June 4 2012 11:19 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
I don't look down on people who use as much of their unemployment as they can looking for a job that will pay them what they need to survive.

It's the people who spend their unemployment sitting on their ass not making an effort to look for jobs that piss me off.
Tim E. Husk
slavar som djur
19,110 Posts
53/M/NA

offline   (1)
June 4 2012 11:31 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: Aunt_Pee

i had considered enrolling for electronics/electronic tech first. id like to fix appliances, small house hold electronic repairs, also refurbishing xboxs and ps3s, fixing and possibly building class a amplifiers and pedal in my spare time.

id take that class for two years earn the assoc. degree in that and then go back immediately for the electriction classes and be certified for bigger new home or business construction, generally where the money is really at.

Smart plan. You could definitely save for a CC without getting loans.
all threads All Threads ›› so lets just say... ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: so lets just say...

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?