all threads All Threads ›› car buying question ›› new reply Post Reply
Yodel Toast

que te follen
20,134 Posts
35/F/PA

offline   (14)
July 27 2012 11:17 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
I still owe $6k on my car. It has 94k miles on it though. It's a 2007 Mazda 3, I've had it for 5 years. I'm just approaching a point with this car that I know I'm going to have to start fixing things soon, and I can't afford constant repairs.

I'm seriously considering trying to trade it in somewhere or sell it to a dealership and get another car and have them pay off the rest of my loan on this car. I looked it up on kelly blue book, it's currently worth like exactly what I owe on it and I've even done a "instant offer" thing in which I received an offer from a dealership to buy my car for like $5800.

Is that a bad idea? I'm working through some credit issues from me being reckless in college, so my score is like 600. Which is know isn't great. My credit was shittier (it was like 400) when I bought the car, which is why I still owe $6k after 5 fucking years.

tom.
^__^
62,530 Posts
36/M/PA

offline     (5)
July 27 2012 11:23 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
that doesn't sound like a bad deal to me.
cbrickhouse
vanilla gorilla
213,860 Posts
39/M/PA

offline     (23)
July 27 2012 11:24 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
attn: user skot667
Yodel Toast
que te follen
20,134 Posts
35/F/PA

offline   (14)
July 27 2012 11:26 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
I was going to text him and then I realized I lost his number when my phone crapped out on me last month.
Yodel Toast
que te follen
20,134 Posts
35/F/PA

offline   (14)
July 27 2012 11:27 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Does anyone know of any dealerships that would do this and not fuck me over?

Also, is it better to do the instant offer and then start from scratch with a new car, or just try to get them to pay it off for me?
Cumby
Time Husk
10,735 Posts
31/M/PA

offline   (4)
July 27 2012 11:38 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
i'd be cautious of what a dealer quotes initially for trade in value vs. what they might actually end up giving you.

what do you think will need to be repaired in the not too distant future? i've mostly heard positive things about mazda3's reliability. maybe i overestimate japanese cars lifespans but i'd assume you could get a lot more miles out of it.

and what kind of car are you trying to replace this one with?
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (20)
July 27 2012 11:43 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: Yodel Toast

Does anyone know of any dealerships that would do this and not fuck me over?

Also, is it better to do the instant offer and then start from scratch with a new car, or just try to get them to pay it off for me?

What kind of car are you looking for? If VW, I could put you in contact with a friend of mine.
Ron Shark
Time Husk
27,235 Posts
9/M/PA

offline     (5)
July 27 2012 11:44 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
I did this with my VW Jetta years ago because they're the worst cars ever and I was constantly having to get it fixed, but it was still worth more than I owed.
Dickscraper
dickacraper
27,437 Posts
32/M/IL

offline   (11)
July 27 2012 11:45 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
I've never owned a car. Someday I hope to, though.
Jess.
wiener breath
38,758 Posts
32/F/PA

offline   (11)
July 27 2012 12:11 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
If it's not time sensitive, I would sell it privately. Generally, you will make more money.

If you are set on a dealership, keep in mind that trade in values are ALWAYS negotiable. If you don't like to negotiate, take someone who does.
Jess.
wiener breath
38,758 Posts
32/F/PA

offline   (11)
July 27 2012 12:12 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: Ron Shark

I did this with my VW Jetta years ago because they're the worst cars ever and I was constantly having to get it fixed, but it was still worth more than I owed.

terrible cars.
Yodel Toast
que te follen
20,134 Posts
35/F/PA

offline   (14)
July 27 2012 12:59 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I'm not sure what type of car I'd want, just something practical that will have good gas mileage, a good warranty and payments that are the same as I pay now ($380 a month) or cheaper.

I was thinking maybe a Hyundai or another Mazda. I absolutely looove my car now, but I'm just kind of sick of it. I smoked in it for 5 years and now that I quit I kind of hate driving around in it.
I put that the car was smoked in when I put the info into the blue book value thingy because I wanted the price to be it's realistic worth. I wouldn't take a penny less than the KBB value for it. And the buy it coupon from the dealership guaranteed me that price of $5800 so I would take that to where I'd go and kind of put my foot down on the value of it if they tried to tell me any different.

A girlfriend of mine told me I should try to go to Conicelli because they helped her do what I'm trying to do. (But, she owed like $20k on her car loan). Has anyone ever been there?
all threads All Threads ›› car buying question ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: car buying question

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?