everything about the title sounds disgusting, but i made it this weekend and it was fantastic (never had eggnog before). tastes just like pumpkin pie. however, the idea of all the eggs in there still grosses me the fuck out so i think i'll try it with vanilla pudding next time and nix the eggs.
4 C. milk
1 C. canned pumpkin puree
7 lg. eggs
1 C. granulated sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. freshly ground nutmeg
1 C. whipping cream
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Spiced rum, to taste
Pumpkin pie spice
1. In a large, heavy saucepan, whisk together the pumpkin puree and the milk. Bring slowly to a gentle boil. Remove from the heat.
2. Meanwhile, beat together your eggs and sugar in a heat-resistant bowl.
3. To temper your egg mixture, pour a small amount of your hot milk into the eggs, whisking constantly. Add a bit more, whisking all the while, until your egg mixture is hot and close to the temperature of your milk mixture.
4. Slowly and gradually whisk your tempered egg mixture into your milk mixture. Return to a medium-low heat.
5. Add cinnamon and nutmeg. Cook, whisking constantly, until the mixture coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat and stir in cream, vanilla, and rum to taste.
6. Cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours. You'll want to let it chill for at least four hours to let the flavors combine. Garnish each serving with a cinnamon stick/ pumpkin pie spice/whipped cream.