all threads All Threads ›› Brickhouse plz tell me about Batman : ) ›› new reply Post Reply
Mechanical Birds

i am the sun
11,979 Posts
30/M/WV

offline   (1)
December 28 2012 7:42 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
He's always been my favorite, but my experience lies solely in toys and movies and video games. I've never read any of the stories. Would you mind making some suggestions? Everyone says The Killing Joke and Long Halloween are essential, but I'm looking for as many suggestions as possible - preferably stuff I can get in trade paperbacks (I'm poor).

Thanks in advance!
cbrickhouse
vanilla gorilla
213,860 Posts
39/M/PA

offline  mobile reply     (23)
December 28 2012 8:26 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Will post a ton of stuff later.
Mechanical Birds
i am the sun
11,979 Posts
30/M/WV

offline   (1)
December 28 2012 8:34 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Cool!

I'm interested in the darker stuff, if it exists? I don't remember which story it came from but a friend told me about one where the joker rapes a girl or something and that's kind of insane.

Excited to get into it. The only other comic series I've gotten into has been Walking Dead.
TheOtherGodhead
N.I.L.
11,730 Posts
34/M/PA

offline  mobile reply     (2)
December 28 2012 9:01 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Hush
Arkham Asylum
Arkham Asylum: Madness
Under the Red Hood
A Death In the Family
R.I.P
The Black Glove
Court Of Owels Vol 1
The Dark Knight Returns
The Dark Knight Strikes Again

I'm at work and have to actually start but those are all graphic novels and are able to be downloaded, bought at comic book shops or on Amazon, but I'll post more later pending what Brickhouse says.
Davey.
Baby Cole
43,572 Posts
33/M/NA

offline   (13)
December 28 2012 9:17 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
There was a version where rather than bruce's parents being shot outside the theatre, bruce dies.
His parents then both have a breakdown. His mother goes insane and becomes the joker and his father becomes batman.
cbrickhouse
vanilla gorilla
213,860 Posts
39/M/PA

offline     (23)
December 28 2012 9:38 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: TheOtherGodhead

Hush
Arkham Asylum
Arkham Asylum: Madness
Under the Red Hood
A Death In the Family
R.I.P
The Black Glove
Court Of Owels Vol 1
The Dark Knight Returns
The Dark Knight Strikes Again

I'm at work and have to actually start but those are all graphic novels and are able to be downloaded, bought at comic book shops or on Amazon, but I'll post more later pending what Brickhouse says.

all of this, except i will add

year one, two, three - especially year one
a lonely place of dying
all the batman/dracula books (three total)
son of the demon
earth one
the cult

and of course the killing joke, where joker rapes/maims commissioner gordon's daughter.

year one is frank millers version of how batman got his start, it's awesome. a lonely place of dying introduces a new robin. the batman / dracula books are pretty graphic, very dark. son of the demon goes into detail about the ra's al ghul saga. earth one is a retelling of the origin. the cult is literally about a cult.

my personal favorites are year one and the dark knight returns. the dark knight returns portrays batman as a man in his 50s, retired, who gets back into the game. in the book a female robin appears and he kicks supermans ass pretty badly.

also, all batman from 220-250 are pretty awesome, most tell gothic style/spooky type stories, which to me was the departure from the corny silver age stuff. this is probably my favorite, it's valued anywhere from 200-1000 bucks. my copy is in incredible condition.

the best modern storyline for me was hush. jim lee does the art, shit is incredible. also all-star batman and robin is also drawn by him with a storyline by frank miller, and portrays batman as a fucking lunatic. he backhands robin and calls him all sorts of names lol. it tells the story of how robin comes to be robin.
Brett Weir
im gay
45,326 Posts
34/M/NY

online   (8)
December 28 2012 12:52 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I love love love Batman: Year One and The Long Halloween.
Brett Weir
im gay
45,326 Posts
34/M/NY

online   (8)
December 28 2012 12:53 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Gotta check out the dracula shit because dracula
cbrickhouse
vanilla gorilla
213,860 Posts
39/M/PA

offline     (23)
December 28 2012 1:23 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
dracula shit rules.

i have every physical batman comic from 150-500 and about 30 issues from 1-150. i also have every batman and detective issue ever in digital format. i use ComicRack to read them, it rules. i never have to open my physical copies again
TheOtherGodhead
N.I.L.
11,730 Posts
34/M/PA

December 28 2012 1:35 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: Davey.

There was a version where rather than bruce's parents being shot outside the theatre, bruce dies.
His parents then both have a breakdown. His mother goes insane and becomes the joker and his father becomes batman.

You're talking about the last big DC cross-over event Flashpoint. It's the Batman title in that and as touched upon really awesome. It too can be bought via the aforementioned means or downloaded.
TheOtherGodhead
N.I.L.
11,730 Posts
34/M/PA

December 28 2012 1:37 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Also, I thought that Dracula stuff and Year Three sucked. But to each their own.
cbrickhouse
vanilla gorilla
213,860 Posts
39/M/PA

offline     (23)
December 28 2012 4:42 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
year three is kinda weak for sure. year two is great. i thoroughly enjoyed the dracula books though
TheOtherGodhead
N.I.L.
11,730 Posts
34/M/PA

December 28 2012 5:48 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
To be honest, when he's taking on the mob or street level crime I have a hard time being interested. I don't reread comics but I think I rewatched Year One maybe once.
I've always found the Joker very interesting on the other hand.
Kung Fu Treachery
Fuck That Bird
1,593 Posts
37/M/NY

offline   (1)
December 28 2012 6:35 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Which is the graphic novel where Bats supposedly dies and most of his villains are at his "funeral" telling stories about their favorite and/or most memorable encounters with him?

I'm pretty sure it's R.I.P. but I don't remember. I always loved that story.

Also, while I like the story arc itself, I never cared for the character of Hush. It made a certain person in Bat's universe even more of an asshole than he already was. I hate that character almost as much as I hate that little shit Damien.
Brett Weir
im gay
45,326 Posts
34/M/NY

online   (8)
December 28 2012 6:38 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I think that may be the dark knight returns?
cbrickhouse
vanilla gorilla
213,860 Posts
39/M/PA

offline  mobile reply     (23)
December 28 2012 6:45 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Nah he supposedly dies in dkr but only superman is there mourning. May be rip, I haven't caught up to that yet.
all threads All Threads ›› Brickhouse plz tell me about Batman : ) ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: Brickhouse plz tell me about Batman : )

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?