all threads All Threads ›› School Lunches ›› new reply Post Reply
Dickscraper

dickacraper
27,523 Posts
32/M/IL

offline   (11)
April 5 2013 12:03 PM   QuickQuote Quote  

click here for link

So that's a link to a reddit thread of comments. More important is the article at the top, but I wanted the reddit comments visible too.

The long and short of it is these kids were denied lunches by the cafeteria workers because they didn't have money. A bunch of parents were outraged. All these comments on reddit seem to be people agreeing with the outrage of the parents.

This is interesting to me because in my elementary, junior high, and high schools, if you didn't have money for lunch, you didn't get lunch. My elementary school didn't even have a cafeteria. Kids ate brown bag lunches at their desks during lunch hour. My middle school was the same way until they built a cafeteria my 2nd year there and sold chips and milk to kids with cash, and that's about it. My high school was cash only shitty hot lunch.

If I was first to the scene in those comments, I probably would have said something like "They didn't have money, they didn't get lunch, what's so hard to understand?" But with all the posts saying basically the opposite, now I'm wondering if my schools were the weird ones that didn't just hand out lunch to all the kids.

How did your schools growing up handle lunches?
Jess.
wiener breath
38,775 Posts
33/F/PA

online   (11)
April 5 2013 12:05 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Our lunches weren't free. Either our parents packed lunch for us or they gave us money to buy it.
sidney
MMM..Johnny Cakes
31,820 Posts
43/M/PA

offline   (1)
April 5 2013 12:08 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
why the fuck would lunch be free unless they are getting state assistance?

now that I read it, it does sound a bit ridiculous....seems they are were only 5 cents off or something.

parents need to keep better track though of their accounts
Dickscraper
dickacraper
27,523 Posts
32/M/IL

offline   (11)
April 5 2013 12:10 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: sidney

Well more specifically the problem here is that these kids basically have pre-paid debit cards to buy their lunches with. What the article states is that the cashiers denied the kids lunches if their account balance was negative, i.e. they didn't have money to pay for lunch. And the parents are pissed that they denied the kids food. Despite not paying for it. And people are agreeing with them that it's bullshit.

I'm having a hard time understanding this.
sidney
MMM..Johnny Cakes
31,820 Posts
43/M/PA

offline   (1)
April 5 2013 12:13 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: Dickscraper

Originally posted by: sidney

Well more specifically the problem here is that these kids basically have pre-paid debit cards to buy their lunches with. What the article states is that the cashiers denied the kids lunches if their account balance was negative, i.e. they didn't have money to pay for lunch. And the parents are pissed that they denied the kids food. Despite not paying for it. And people are agreeing with them that it's bullshit.

I'm having a hard time understanding this.

my son uses a number to tell the cashier and then they check our account. We make sure to always have money in the account....so I'm not sure what would happen if he was denied if we forgot to put money in. I would hope they would not deny him for one day.....but multiple slip ups have to have some sort of consequence
Jess.
wiener breath
38,775 Posts
33/F/PA

online   (11)
April 5 2013 12:13 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I'm going to go to wawa with a prepaid debit card with only $.19 on it and be outraged when they don't give me my hoagie that I can't pay for. I need that food to survive!

I guess maybe they should give the kids the food and bill the parents, but I'd imagine that would get out of control pretty quickly unless they only allowed for it one time.
Shostakovich
do svidaniya
6,566 Posts
36/M/MD

offline     (6)
April 5 2013 12:15 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
in both of my elementary schools, if you didn't have money or a lunch they gave you a carton of white milk and a pb&j. no reason to deny kids food. I'd think that's a no brainer. nobody abused it because it was embarrassing and also a shitty, pre made and ice cold sandwich. once you ate that stupid thing you made sure you had a lunch or money
Shostakovich
do svidaniya
6,566 Posts
36/M/MD

offline     (6)
April 5 2013 12:28 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
in Harford County, especially the northern area where I lived, when I was a kid there was a big transition going on. lots of incoming yuppies into what used to be rural farmland. lots of small businesses and local farms were probably lost the generation before, so there were a good chunk of broke/semi-broke rural kids in my school. some of them, shit, that was probably all they got to eat at home anyway
Baby Cole is gay
Cannonball
14,017 Posts
7/M/NA

offline  mobile reply     (18)
April 5 2013 12:36 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
We never had to option to buy lunch until high school. When i got there though, If you went up there with no money, the lunch ladies always hooked you up. Most kids came from modest lower middle class/working class families. Who knows... maybe thats the only meal they got that day. How you gonna deny a hungry child food? Especially a young child in elementary school.
Dianana
8====D
66,500 Posts
36/F/PA

offline   (8)
April 5 2013 12:36 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Hey kids, you're parents are poor and didn't pay so go eff yourselves. We know that you can't function well on an empty stomach but lol@you.

No one wants to invest in education and the young. I do not understand it.
cbrickhouse
vanilla gorilla
213,881 Posts
40/M/PA

offline     (23)
April 5 2013 12:37 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
lunches were like a 1.25 when i was in school. they had steakums, bologna sandwiches disguised as a hoagie, ok pizza, and bangin tater tots.
Shostakovich
do svidaniya
6,566 Posts
36/M/MD

offline     (6)
April 5 2013 12:40 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
now I wonder though, given that a lot of school food comes from contracts with global corporations like Sodexho, if giving away food isn't even an option. y'know because blarga blarga capitalism rabble 99% etc
Dianana
8====D
66,500 Posts
36/F/PA

offline   (8)
April 5 2013 12:42 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I wonder how heartbreaking it must be to not be able to feed your kid/s?

This isn't just happening to those "loser poor folk in the ghetto that can't keep their legs closed." This is happening to middle class families that have been fucked over in the last 8 years.
brian.
new cocks
146,088 Posts
35/M/IL

offline   (9)
April 5 2013 12:44 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
we're at war. theres no money for school lunches - we need to buy more missiles.
cbrickhouse
vanilla gorilla
213,881 Posts
40/M/PA

offline     (23)
April 5 2013 12:46 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
brian is a commie
Dianana
8====D
66,500 Posts
36/F/PA

offline   (8)