forum General Crabbery ›› Speaking of comics. ›› new reply Post Reply
Pollcat

afam / aasr 32°
23,563 Posts
40/M/PA

offline  mobile reply   (1)
December 3 2013 1:28 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I'll be heading to the comic shop tomorrow to pick up the new issue of "the Star Wars" and plan on signing up for more. I already get the walking dead in digital so I'll probably sign up to get physical forms of those. Also going to get batman: lil Gotham for the kid.

Recommend me more monthly issues I should subscribe to. What are the thoughts on the spectacular Spider-Man or the amazing Spider-Man.
Dickscraper
dickacraper
27,087 Posts
31/M/IL

offline   (11)
December 3 2013 1:31 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I'm not up to date on comics anymore so I can't comment on current runs, but if you haven't read Preacher you should check out those graphic novels.
Pollcat
afam / aasr 32°
23,563 Posts
40/M/PA

offline  mobile reply   (1)
December 3 2013 1:33 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I heard they are good. I'll get around to them. I am more so looking for monthly issues to start reading.
ulrikesdream
Time Husk
347 Posts
46/N/A/AK

offline   (3)
December 3 2013 1:38 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I only have "ultimate spider man" (tpb). I like those. I also have some "avenging spider man" and "peter parker, spider man". But I prefer "ultimate spiderman", because I like the drawing style. It's "clear". If you know what I mean by that.
In "later" issues lots of those super hero comics tend to be a mix of 25 different villains and 25 different heroes who team up. I prefer earlier issues. One hero. One villain. Nothing too complicated ;-)
What I've read about "sensation spider man" is mostly positive, so I'd give it a try.
cbrickhouse
vanilla gorilla
213,518 Posts
39/M/PA

offline     (23)
December 3 2013 1:39 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
sign up for the new 52 batman/detective/dark knight comics for sure. great storylines, great art. i have almost every new 52 batman. not a fan of the direction spider-man took.
Dickscraper
dickacraper
27,087 Posts
31/M/IL

offline   (11)
December 3 2013 1:44 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: ulrikesdream

But I prefer "ultimate spiderman", because I like the drawing style. It's "clear". If you know what I mean by that.

Mark Bagley is my favorite penciller. I liked his work on ASM in the 90s better than his USM stuff though. I had him sign a copy of ASM 361 (Carnage 1st appearance) a few years back at a comic con.

Davey.
Baby Cole
43,527 Posts
32/M/NA

offline  mobile reply   (13)
December 3 2013 1:56 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I only read hipster graphic novels
Cumby
Time Husk
10,390 Posts
30/M/PA

online   (4)
December 3 2013 3:01 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: gaygod

Mark Trail is a comic, right?

TheOtherGodhead
N.I.L.
11,730 Posts
34/M/PA

offline  mobile reply     (2)
December 3 2013 4:43 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
There are about fourteen Batman related monthlys, so unless you wanna spend a lot read Batman shit via graphic novels or digital.
Green Lantern(The other Green Lantern related monthlys are "ok" at best.) and Flash are my suggestions.
XcadmusX
vocals/bookings
2,497 Posts
43/M/PA

offline   (5)
December 3 2013 4:51 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
The IDW published GI Joe series is really good. It's not the cartoonish, aimed for kids, type of thing that may spring to mind if you aren't one to have followed the Marvel comics. This is consistently violent, anyone can die at any time (unlike the old series where you almost never saw that happen). Action, espionage, etc. It's worth checking out.

Btw, this does NOT mean the "A Real American Hero" series, as this is a continuation of the Marvel series. The new GI Joe is a reboot, but IDW publishes both.
TheOtherGodhead
N.I.L.
11,730 Posts
34/M/PA

offline  mobile reply     (2)
December 3 2013 6:35 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
IDW grabs right to publish anything. If it was a popular cartoon, movie or show in the eighties then they're about it.
TOOTHPAC SHAKUR
master quoter
30,897 Posts
32/M/OH

offline  mobile reply   (2)
December 3 2013 7:36 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Sandman overture
ulrikesdream
Time Husk
347 Posts
46/N/A/AK

offline   (3)
December 4 2013 2:50 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: Dickscraper

But I prefer "ultimate spiderman", because I like the drawing style. It's "clear". If you know what I mean by that.

Mark Bagley is my favorite penciller. I liked his work on ASM in the 90s better than his USM stuff though. I had him sign a copy of ASM 361 (Carnage 1st appearance) a few years back at a comic con.

I'll look him up.
ulrikesdream
Time Husk
347 Posts
46/N/A/AK

offline   (3)
December 4 2013 2:53 PM   QuickQuote Quote  

Originally posted by: Dickscraper

I'll look him up.

Ok. I got up. Took some comics. I know who Mark Bagley is now :-) (ouch)
Dickscraper
dickacraper
27,087 Posts
31/M/IL

offline   (11)
December 4 2013 2:57 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I was just the right age to check a lot of the Venom storylines as they were coming out. Bagley's Venom will always be the definitive Venom.

cbrickhouse
vanilla gorilla
213,518 Posts
39/M/PA

offline     (23)
December 5 2013 4:16 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
i dunno, i preferred mcfarlane venom. i just like all of his stuff basically

forum General Crabbery ›› Speaking of comics. ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: Speaking of comics.

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject