all threads All Threads ›› Dickscraper goes to Louisiana/Mississippi ›› new reply Post Reply
Dickscraper

dickacraper
27,463 Posts
32/M/IL

offline   (11)
December 18 2013 11:34 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
We spent the first three nights in New Orleans. The first night we walked about the French Quarter and then went to the Pelicans/Pistons game. The next two days and nights were spent eating pretty great food and watching awesome jazz bands play. After that, we rented a car and headed north to visit some historical plantations, then headed even further north into Mississippi where we went hiking. On the way back down, we spent a night in Baton Rouge which is probably the shittiest "city" I've ever been to. Here goes.

Picture #1: This is an Arby's.

Here's a cool street in New Orleans.

We did a cemetery tour. The cemeteries there are built like this because New Orleans is built on a swamp. The coffins sink into the mud and all get mixed up underneath, which is weird. So instead of individual plots, they just have a family tomb. One coffin goes in, sinks into the earth and drifts away, rinse & repeat.

Here is Nicolas Cage's future tomb.

Maybe the best sandwich I've ever eaten. It was at this podunk little mini mart. It had turkey, ham, shrimp, provolone, cheddar, and house sauce. It was gigantic.

I didn't get many pictures of the jazz groups we saw, which is unfortunate. But that was because it was so raucous in the clubs that I didn't want to damage my camera. Here's one that I did get. Tons of fun.

Here's another restaurant we ate at: Elizabeth's. We had fried chicken liver, a catfish po'boy, and praline bacon.

Much of the city is still bombed out from Katrina. Out of the ~10 houses on the block we stayed on, only 3 were occupied. The rest were boarded up and rotting. These were the houses next door.

So yeah we headed north and saw a couple old timey plantations. Here is a genuine slave quarter building.

Here is me doing Davey pose in front of slave-owning family portraits.

This is the view looking out the front balcony of the plantation.

So we went up into Mississippi state and hiked Clark Creek Nature Reserve. Pretty nice place. It would have been better in the summer when the waterfalls are more dramatic, but it was still a beautiful place.

Then back down for one more day of New Orleans where we hired a guide to take us out into the swamp. Since it's winter, most alligators are hiding, but we did see one.

Here's a family of nutria (swamp rats).

Cool shot of swamp.

And that's all she wrote.
TheOtherGodhead
N.I.L.
11,730 Posts
34/M/PA

offline  mobile reply     (2)
December 18 2013 11:45 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Pretty cool.
Davey.
Baby Cole
43,576 Posts
33/M/NA

offline   (13)
December 18 2013 11:51 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Looks good, amd excellent work on the davey pose.
The only picture i took in edinburgh was of a whisky 'flight' i went on. I drank some extremely expensive and delicious scotches while i was there.

Kev_in
One falls off
4,443 Posts
38/M/PA

online  mobile reply   (6)
December 18 2013 12:09 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I took a picture of that same pyramid tomb when I was there as well
Baby Cole is gay
Cannonball
14,017 Posts
6/M/NA

offline     (18)
December 18 2013 5:17 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Fuck you and your vacations.
Dickscraper
dickacraper
27,463 Posts
32/M/IL

offline   (11)
December 18 2013 5:20 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Baby Cole is gay
Cannonball
14,017 Posts
6/M/NA

offline     (18)
December 18 2013 5:21 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I'm sorry, that was very lower class of me.
-Jeremy-
gary
62,973 Posts
32/M/NA

offline  mobile reply   (21)
December 18 2013 6:00 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Looks neat. I wouldn't mind going to New Orleans some time, even if just for the food.
hypnodoge
very helo
4 Posts
9/M/PA

offline   (1)
December 18 2013 6:02 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
WO)))))))))WWWWWWEEEE;;;::;;;:;;;EEEEE
Jason Voorheees
dogfood meatballs
6,460 Posts
41/M/NY

offline   (4)
December 18 2013 6:44 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
you were better off this time of year than the summer; between the heat, the humidity, the bugs and the larger critters, that hike could have been miserable to terrifying. the best time of year in new orleans is the winter, or late fall, or early spring, ideally a few weeks before mardis gras. [right after is alright too] but the summers, fuck that. a city built on a swamp in 95 degree heat, with 95% humidity: that's why people drink so much. on an architectural/urban planning note, that's also why smart old world city planners like the french lined boulevards with giant shade trees like the oaks on st. charles to cool the pavement and keep it from absorbing heat from the sun. even on the shittiest day in august, there's still a slightly cooler breeze down there just from the convection. this got forgotten for every strip mall and parking lot ever built afterwards.

also

Originally posted by: Dickscraper

so much beauty fed by so much blood. it's good to be the king.
brenoritvrezorkre
tortiteniphates
26,685 Posts
31/M/CA

offline   (3)
December 18 2013 6:53 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
i want to eat a truck-load of zapps this instant.
Jason Voorheees
dogfood meatballs
6,460 Posts
41/M/NY

offline   (4)
December 18 2013 6:54 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
tom.
^__^
62,530 Posts
36/M/PA

offline     (5)
December 19 2013 4:44 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
i enjoyed the n'orleans snaps
Dianana
8====D
66,486 Posts
36/F/PA

offline   (8)
December 19 2013 5:12 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
That's cool, I'd like to get to new orleans eventually.
Jason Voorheees
dogfood meatballs
6,460 Posts
41/M/NY

offline   (4)
December 19 2013 9:15 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: kawhi stalin

they should've made all the taunts lines from mel brooks movies.

he probably would have loved that.
all threads All Threads ›› Dickscraper goes to Louisiana/Mississippi ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: Dickscraper goes to Louisiana/Mississippi

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?