all threads All Threads ›› General Purpose Video Game Thread ›› new reply Post Reply
Mechanical Birds

i am the sun
11,979 Posts
30/M/WV

offline   (1)
January 8 2014 1:27 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
I know the dorks forum exists but nobody goes there and I just want this to exist as kind of a counterpart to the movie thread. Please don't move it. Starting with Far Cry 3 I started getting back into video games really hard and want more places to talk about them.

I just finally played through The Last of Us and it totally lived up to the hype. The only complaints I have are the combat scenes being a little repetitive and ***SPOILER*** Joel Saving Ellie at the end being a bullshit selfish thing to do. At the same time though humanity was pretty much decimated, so who knows if the world could have come back even. I loved the ending though.

Also played through Uncharted 3. Not alot to say about it. It was worth my time I guess, and it's pretty cool that that's what platformers have become. I just started Uncharted 2 and so far it's pretty much the same.
JustCan'tHateEnough
Some kind of hate
1,180 Posts
41/M/TX

offline  mobile reply   (13)
January 8 2014 4:59 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Uncharted 2 is better than 3
Maryland Matt
still oh so ill
8,438 Posts
37/M/MD

offline  mobile reply     (6)
January 8 2014 6:17 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
I recently beat The Last of Us as well. By far and away, the best game of 2013. If you own a PS3 and you haven't played it, I highly recommend that you do.

Uncharted 3 is also a fantastic game (especially when played in 3D)... but I agree, part 2 was definitely better (and possibly the best game ever released on PS3).

Last night, I just finished Batman Arkham Origins. There isn't anything new here if you've played the other Arkham games... but it is still a LOT of fun.

My roommate let me borrow his copy of GTA5, but I've barely scratched the surface on it. So far so good..?
Lifetime74
Woooo!
27,818 Posts
44/M/PA

offline   (13)
January 8 2014 3:09 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
What games do people have on their phones? I play Slayer pinball, but other than that I have not found any good games to download.
Mechanical Birds
i am the sun
11,979 Posts
30/M/WV

offline   (1)
January 8 2014 5:09 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: Maryland Matt

I recently beat The Last of Us as well. By far and away, the best game of 2013. If you own a PS3 and you haven't played it, I highly recommend that you do.

Uncharted 3 is also a fantastic game (especially when played in 3D)... but I agree, part 2 was definitely better (and possibly the best game ever released on PS3).

Last night, I just finished Batman Arkham Origins. There isn't anything new here if you've played the other Arkham games... but it is still a LOT of fun.

My roommate let me borrow his copy of GTA5, but I've barely scratched the surface on it. So far so good..?

GTA V was not only GOTY 2013, but possibly the best video game of all time. If you still haven't cracked into it, you need to ASAP man. It's incredible.

Everyone kept telling me Uncharted 2 was so much better than 3, but I just finished 2 and it was like, point-for-point, the same game. I had fun playing them for sure, but I've had more fun playing other games that have come out in the past 2 years or so.

Playing through this for the second time now, only this time on PS3 instead of 360. It's pretty great, and that shootout at the end with that Health song, OMG it's nuts. I got stuck in the original Max Payne and never went back for the second one. I'd like to spend some time with 2 and see how that goes.
Mechanical Birds
i am the sun
11,979 Posts
30/M/WV

offline   (1)
January 8 2014 5:20 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: Lifetime74

What games do people have on their phones? I play Slayer pinball, but other than that I have not found any good games to download.

I don't have an answer for you here, sorry man. I'd like to touch on this though because it's interesting to me.

There's been a lot of talk the past few years about how consoles are being phased out by mobile gaming. I just don't see it. Sure, more people, medium for medium, probably own a cell phone game over a PS3 game, but to me, that only speaks to the convenience of everyone owning cell phones these days. I guess they're at least sort of starting to get caught up, with ports of GTA games and stuff like LIMBO being brought over. At the end of the day though, I see stuff like the OUYA or whatever belonging to a small market of kids who don't understand what they're buying, and only see the "$100 FOR access to OVER 100,000 GAMES - a portion of them FOR FREE!" or for the people who like playing iOs games so much they'd wanna do it on a TV (not a lot I assume).

The idea of playing a game on a phone is cool because you carry it everywhere, and people end up bored through out the day a lot, so it's neat to have something there. But, if you want a true gaming experience, I find that you can really only get that with a console or PC (I don't play PC games so I'm clueless there).

It'll be interesting to see what this rumored Google console is - whether it's a true mainstream console, or something like the OYUA or Steambox. Frankly I'd like to see more competition in the console market. I'd give anything to see what Sega would be doing right now, or Atari or whatever.
Mechanical Birds
i am the sun
11,979 Posts
30/M/WV

offline   (1)
January 8 2014 5:21 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I can't tell you guys how bad I wanted there to be a Dreamcast 2. When I first saw the PS4 at Gamestop the other day a kid was playing Knack and it just reminded me of how seeing Crazy Taxi for the first time felt.
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,739 Posts
36/M/PA

online   (1)
January 8 2014 5:22 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
GTA V was great. I don't know if it was THAT great. I also don't play online so maybe that is it. I have Gamefly and played a lot of games this year, but I'm not sure what was the best. Probably GTA V because that is one of the few I bought.

Wii U is a lot of fun, but not too many games out yet. Mario 3D world has Cat Mario so that rules.

I will get an Xbox sometime this year when there are more games out, and hopefully a price drop.
sidney
MMM..Johnny Cakes
31,775 Posts
42/M/PA

offline  mobile reply   (1)
January 8 2014 6:36 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Got my son 3D Mario for Christmas. I think I've played it more then him. Also not usually into the Lego games a lot but the Marvel game is cool.....shit ton of characters
TOOTHPAC SHAKUR
master quoter
30,897 Posts
33/M/OH

offline  mobile reply   (2)
January 8 2014 7:27 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Check out my video game podcast at www.superrad.podbean.com or on iTunes under SuperRadPodcast!
Also our videos at www.youtube.com/officialsuperrad
Mechanical Birds
i am the sun
11,979 Posts
30/M/WV

offline   (1)
January 9 2014 3:11 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
clownpenis.fart
Bashar al-Asad
In sha'Allah
38,210 Posts
46/M/PA

offline   (11)
January 9 2014 3:12 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
horsecum.jizz
kilgoretrout
Time Husk
2,832 Posts
30/M/WV

offline  mobile reply     (3)
January 9 2014 7:53 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Just finished dmc: devil may cry. I had no idea what I was getting into because I never played any of the original games, but this game was fucking awesome, nonstop action, hilarious corny dialogue, perfect controls. The only complaint I had was the camera which can be a bit of a bitch, but still one of the best games I've played in a while. It's prolly real cheap now so everyone should check it out.
Mechanical Birds
i am the sun
11,979 Posts
30/M/WV

offline   (1)
January 9 2014 7:14 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I never got DMC but it looked fucking awesome in all the trailers.

I need some recs for PS3, specifically older stuff that's like $7 at Game Stop or whatever.
JustCan'tHateEnough
Some kind of hate
1,180 Posts
41/M/TX

offline  mobile reply   (13)
January 10 2014 7:05 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Borderlands
Resistance
The NHL mlb and NBA games
Last of us
The saboteur
La noir
Heavy rain
Xcom

That's what I came up with of the top of my head for the ps3
brenoritvrezorkre
tortiteniphates
26,685 Posts
31/M/CA

offline   (3)
January 10 2014 7:13 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
i want to play the last of us so very badly. i just finished dead space 2 at a friend's house, and wow, what an incredible game. i want to play it by myself in the dark at some point and let the atmospherics really terrorize me. i need a console again.
all threads All Threads ›› General Purpose Video Game Thread ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: General Purpose Video Game Thread

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?