dogfood meatballs
6,439 Posts
39/M/NY

offline   (4)
March 26 2014 2:30 AM   QuickQuote Quote  

Copenhagen Zoo euthanizes four lions

March 25, 2014
AP

The Copenhagen Zoo faced worldwide criticism from other zoos and animal sanctuaries last month when it euthanized a healthy giraffe named Marius instead of finding him a new home.

Now, once again, rather than giving the endangered animals to another zoo, the zoo has euthanized four healthy lions — two adults and their two 10-month-old cubs, according to news reports.

The zoo is introducing a male lion and cited in a statement the need to not disrupt the "pride's natural structure and behavior," according to the Associated Press.

On Feb. 9, Marius the giraffe was shot in the head, dissected in public, then fed to the zoo's lions.

"Marius hasn't made us the least bit afraid. Because what we are doing is the most correct thing to do," Steffen Stræde, the zoo's chief, told Ritzau, a Danish news agency, The Copenhagen Post reports."I think people are more enlightened after Marius," a smiling Stræde said in the interview.

Accredited American zoos do not euthanize endangered species because these zoos use relocation and contraceptive techniques to prevent inbreeding and overpopulation.

the fuck kind of seriel killer zookeeper is running things over there? hopefully some animal rights extremist tosses him in with a polar bear. fuck

Jason Voorheees
dogfood meatballs
6,439 Posts
39/M/NY

offline   (4)
March 26 2014 2:44 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
this fucking nazi

The Copenhagen Zoo: keeping endangered species endangered since 1859.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,135 Posts
34/M/PA

offline   (19)
March 26 2014 6:37 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
obviously telling other countries what to do is a sticky subject but you'd figure there was some international zoo council or something of that nature that would prevent this type of shit from happening.
Davey.
Baby Cole
43,382 Posts
31/M/NA

online  mobile reply   (13)
March 26 2014 7:00 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Zoos in general make me uncomfortable.
i completely appreciate the fact that they do valuable work in the conservation of species, raise awareness and educate, but there is something so Victorian and weird about going to see wild animals in cages.
i genuinely believe that in the future zoos will be viewed as morally bizarre.
Jason Voorheees
dogfood meatballs
6,439 Posts
39/M/NY

offline   (4)
March 27 2014 12:34 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: Davey.

i completely appreciate the fact that they do valuable work in the conservation of species, raise awareness and educate, but there is something so Victorian and weird about going to see wild animals in cages.
i genuinely believe that in the future zoos will be viewed as morally bizarre.

yup. i think the first time i started noticing there was something wrong with zoos was when i saw some kid laughing that a limping elephant was walking in circles and eating its own shit, and i realized that besides the fact that this sadistic piece of shit kid was a much lower life form than that elephant, that this wasn't normal behavior for the animal and that it was going insane, and that most of the higher mammals there must be as well. this is why it has been traditionally so difficult to get so many to breed in captivity - they're fucking miserable, profoundly miserable. some of them range hundreds of miles in their natural habitats, and here they are in some 20 x 20 decorated prison cell for the rest of their lives. and then when you consider the fact that the average animal is thousands of times more perceptive than any human, any delusion that they don't notice all the spoiled, entitled children with their spoiled, entitled parents watching them is also just a convenient moral rationalization. sucks.

i'd love to see all the money spent to maintain zoos used to buy and maintain actual habitat around the world. if you want to see wild animals, install digital video cams in their actual habitat so you can invade their privacy without them actually knowing. compared to that possibility, there's just something really creepy, shitty and diseased about even wanting to go gawk at a psychologically crushed, futureless, joyless, captive sentient being in a cage with no privacy and no life, just so you can get to be 10 feet from it and hear it breathe, eat, etc., and let it know that even your retarded children have more power and freedom than it does now.

but yeah, this guy is a major piece of shit. i wonder how many more times he's going to kill helpless, healthy, and often endangered animals there before the locals realize he's maybe a bit off. there are nicer zoos and much nicer sanctuaries in other countries that would have happily paid to take this family of lions and that giraffe. dude is just fucking evil.

actual photo of Marius the giraffe days before he was killed
DrivebyFork
Time Husk
51 Posts
37/M/NA

March 27 2014 12:42 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Zoos need to go away. Also any Circus and people who keep wild animals as pets need to be fined heavily.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,135 Posts
34/M/PA

offline   (19)
March 27 2014 12:51 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I don't mind the idea of a zoo but I don't think they need to be open to the public. I think half the reason that the animals are so miserable is because they have people gawking, shouting, and just generally tormenting these creatures day in and day out. Using them to temporarily house them as they try to rebuild the population of endangered species is fine but they don't need to be placed on display. If you want to see an African elephant, go to fucking Africa. While I appreciate the animals and think it's a beautiful thing to see them, I'll give up my own selfish pleasure for them to be where they need to be doing what they please.

The circus is the worst. Sea World is a close second.
Dickscraper
dickacraper
25,474 Posts
30/M/IL

online   (11)
March 27 2014 1:11 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: WREN

If you want to see an African elephant, go to fucking Africa

Ehh... A lot of people would probably not give two shits about elephant conservation if they didn't have one presented to them in real life in a place convenient to get to from home. Zoos are definitely weird and I agree with you all but they do serve their purpose in this regard - they expose people to and educate them about animals that they realistically would never see otherwise. Basically what Davey said.
sidney
MMM..Johnny Cakes
31,189 Posts
41/M/PA

online   (1)
March 27 2014 1:12 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
went to the philly zoo (we are members) this past weekend....love watching the Gorillas
WREN
Pulp Free
52,135 Posts
34/M/PA

offline   (19)
March 27 2014 1:23 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: Dickscraper

Originally posted by: WREN

If you want to see an African elephant, go to fucking Africa

Ehh... A lot of people would probably not give two shits about elephant conservation if they didn't have one presented to them in real life in a place convenient to get to from home. Zoos are definitely weird and I agree with you all but they do serve their purpose in this regard - they expose people to and educate them about animals that they realistically would never see otherwise. Basically what Davey said.

I was very blunt with my statement because ultimately that would be the best case scenario. There are (very few) positives about zoos, education being one of them. However, the animals being there all their lives is sad. Basically it comes down to people being dogshit because alot of the endangered species are that way because we suck as a species.

I have gone to the zoo as recent as last May in Hawaii (it's been 10 years prior to that) and it's still a weird experience for me. I'm also not the savage shitty kid yelling at them and banging on the glass.
the j is 4 jongler
woodrabbit1975
5,640 Posts
M/NA

offline   (2)
March 27 2014 1:26 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
i cant wait until bears figure out how to steal guns, use them, and enslave the human race so i can be selectively bred with fat bitches and then euthanized mercifully to end my shitty exhibition existence.
ulrikesdream
Time Husk
336 Posts
45/N/A/AK

offline   (3)
April 26 2014 8:03 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: Davey.

Yes, me too. Specially older zoos and "private" zoos. They have even less space for the animals.
Rats in the walls
crush, kill, destr
1,167 Posts
32/M/NY

offline   (1)
August 18 2015 1:00 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: DrivebyFork

Zoos need to go away. Also any Circus and people who keep wild animals as pets need to be fined heavily.

this. although i almost feel the need to visit the animals in them right now like they're sick parents in the hospital or something. add lonely and scared to the adjectives list though.
Bashar al-Asad
In sha'Allah
37,474 Posts
30/M/PA

offline   (11)
August 18 2015 2:21 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
fuck the god dam zoo
crunkmoose
Fuck Nazis.
24,521 Posts
60/M/MA

offline   (9)
August 18 2015 4:25 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
So.. the giraffe was killed and fed to the lions. Then the lions were killed. What animal are they feeding the lions to and how long until they kill that animal as well?

Also, these are fucking living animals, not that box of floppy disks floating around your office that have been obsolete for decades!
Rats in the walls
crush, kill, destr
1,167 Posts
32/M/NY

offline   (1)
October 19 2015 9:38 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Zoo’s Public Dissection of Lion Makes Denmark Again a Target of Outrage Oct 16, 2015 AFP

A Danish zoo on Thursday dissected a lion in front of a group of children, in an educational event condemned as a "macabre spectacle" by animal rights groups but given a thumbs-up by many Danes.

The nine-month-old lion was one of three that Odense Zoo in central Denmark put down in February, on the grounds it had too many big cats.

Last year, a zoo in the capital Copenhagen came under fire after a healthy giraffe was euthanised and dissected in public and fed to lions, followed several months later by the euthanization of several of the lions.

outrage-as-danish-zoo-dissects-lion-in-front-of-children

giraffes-put-on-extinction-watch-list
forum Politics and Society ›› fuck the copenhagen zoo ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: fuck the copenhagen zoo

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images