forum General Crabbery ›› Tuesday: Coolest Monkey in the Jungle? ›› new reply Post Reply
planetofdogs

delirium tremens
447 Posts
34/M/NA

offline   (205)
January 9 2018 8:31 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
So this horseshit is everywhere online today, and here's my 2 cents. Does anyone else think it's overly ethnocentric for those in America to be this upset about a Swedish company putting this slogan on their clothes?

I do understand black people being offended by this, no question. However, Sweden does not have the same cultural history as us. While I doubt that the Swedes are completely oblivious to other cultures do's and dont's, I don't think that they had any bad intentions. Hypothetically, if an American company made a shirt with "The Coolest Lion in the Jungle" and the word "lion' was a racial slur for Swedes, I wouldn't know any better, and I doubt most others would. Again, I am not arguing that this is okay, or that it should be sold in America, or even that black people shouldn't be offended. I just think that it is not being judged in the proper context. Thoughts?

also, morning cheers

also,

brian.
new cocks
145,639 Posts
34/M/IL

offline   (9)
January 9 2018 8:39 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Captain Ahab
HONKY TONK BLUES
44,994 Posts
37/M/PA

online  mobile reply   (18)
January 9 2018 8:59 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
New Bowie documentary on HBO called The Last Five Years. Looks good.

click here for link
Mystical Fog of Gobulon
Time Husk
1,504 Posts
20/M/NA

offline  mobile reply 
January 9 2018 9:13 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: planetofdogs

So this horseshit is everywhere online today, and here's my 2 cents. Does anyone else think it's overly ethnocentric for those in America to be this upset about a Swedish company putting this slogan on their clothes?

I do understand black people being offended by this, no question. However, Sweden does not have the same cultural history as us. While I doubt that the Swedes are completely oblivious to other cultures do's and dont's, I don't think that they had any bad intentions. Hypothetically, if an American company made a shirt with "The Coolest Lion in the Jungle" and the word "lion' was a racial slur for Swedes, I wouldn't know any better, and I doubt most others would. Again, I am not arguing that this is okay, or that it should be sold in America, or even that black people shouldn't be offended. I just think that it is not being judged in the proper context. Thoughts?

also, morning cheers

also,

Anyone bothered by this has mental problems. I don't agree black people should be offended by this one bit. Laughter should be the only response. Luckily, the black people I'm friends with aren't total scum and found it funnier than I did.
Mystical Fog of Gobulon
Time Husk
1,504 Posts
20/M/NA

offline  mobile reply 
January 9 2018 9:16 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Anyone bothered by this probably enjoyed the golden globes and liked Oprah. I'm sure a large number of sexual harassers were there wearing black and cheering on the speeches. What will the next Hollywood trend topic be I wonder?
planetofdogs
delirium tremens
447 Posts
34/M/NA

offline   (205)
January 9 2018 9:20 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
The other thought that comes to mind here: I'm sure that kids parents were present for the photoshoot. If they had any sort of issue, I'm sure it would have been brought up. In regards to the sexual harrasment stuff in Hollywood, I will quote my wife;

'Everyone is blah blahing about how courageous these women are. Bullshit. Courageous would have been reporting it immediatley, with no regard to career damage, so that other women could be saved from having to endure the same thing. Fuck #MeToo"
brian.
new cocks
145,639 Posts
34/M/IL

offline   (9)
January 9 2018 9:23 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: planetofdogs

In regards to the sexual harrasment stuff in Hollywood, I will quote my wife;

'Everyone is blah blahing about how courageous these women are. Bullshit. Courageous would have been reporting it immediatley, with no regard to career damage, so that other women could be saved from having to endure the same thing. Fuck #MeToo"

planetofdogs
delirium tremens
447 Posts
34/M/NA

offline   (205)
January 9 2018 9:30 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
My water dispenser on my fridge has been out of order for at least 3 weeks, I guess due to the cold weather. I'm sick of buying water like a hot shot 1%er.
Mystical Fog of Gobulon
Time Husk
1,504 Posts
20/M/NA

offline  mobile reply 
January 9 2018 9:37 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
I'm certain the kids parents were at the photoshoot. I won't agree with your wife's view that courageous women report it immediately. Some women are in a position where their livelihood is on the line and they risk losing everything. If I was in that position I wouldn't say anything either. So I think it is in fact a huge problem women have to deal with and I am absolutely on their side. But Hollywood uses social issues and campaigns to appear morally superior for the topic of the hour so they look good when in reality Hollywood contributes nothing to society and is breeding ground for evil behavior (Just like the NFL)
planetofdogs
delirium tremens
447 Posts
34/M/NA

offline   (205)
January 9 2018 9:40 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Fuck sports, that's all I'll say about that.
Mystical Fog of Gobulon
Time Husk
1,504 Posts
20/M/NA

offline  mobile reply 
January 9 2018 9:40 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
"I played a Goblin in a wizard movie for 20 million dollars, it was really hard. Worship me as your god in reality. My words are those of a king."
planetofdogs
delirium tremens
447 Posts
34/M/NA

offline   (205)
January 9 2018 9:44 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Also, the "Fuck #MeToo" was in relation to those in Hollywood, not average women who may find themselves in that terrible situation of chosing between a paycheck and reporting abuse. I can't honestly see a Hollywood actress with tons of money seeing this as a tough choice. They have more money than the majority of us will ever dream of.
Kev_in
One falls off
3,389 Posts
37/M/PA

online  mobile reply   (6)
January 9 2018 9:45 AM   QuickQuote Quote  

Dickscraper
dickacraper
26,979 Posts
31/M/IL

online  mobile reply   (11)
January 9 2018 9:46 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
That shirt is tone deaf as shit and two white dudes discussing how people "shouldn't be offended about it" and how their black friends are cool with it on a hardcore music message board is even more tone deaf.
brian.
new cocks
145,639 Posts
34/M/IL

offline   (9)
January 9 2018 9:46 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
this is easily the worst thread in the last five years
brian.
new cocks
145,639 Posts
34/M/IL

offline   (9)
January 9 2018 9:47 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
"i dont get how a woman would find it hard to deal with a traumatic situation because they have a lot of money"
forum General Crabbery ›› Tuesday: Coolest Monkey in the Jungle? ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: Tuesday: Coolest Monkey in the Jungle?

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?