dilema, need advice... 13 replies, 396 views

uthoughtuknewme
12/10/2007 1:14:00 PM
so i got a job making $41,600 doing something i like i've been there less then a month and i also interviewed for another company at the same time.

they finally made me an offer of $48,000 plus $12 a day for travel (which is $60 a week or $3,100 a year added to my salary.

the job i'm at now is a little shorter drive and my office is super slow (no internet on downtimes so slow SUCKS)

the job i could take i will be getting a laptop and cell phone and working on the actual job site.

problem: i am supposed to start tomorrow, no time for notice to the job i'm with now. i feel awful burning the bridge to this place because my boss is really understanding. it's like telling a teddy bear bad news. also, scared this new job will suck and then i am screwed.

HELP!
XWHISKEYX
12/10/2007 1:17:00 PM
noone is paying your bills except you. be up front and tell your current boss what is up and hopefully he understands. you have only been there less than a month, so you really could get away with never even putting that job on your resume.
Yodel Toast
12/10/2007 1:18:00 PM
yeah I would just explain the situation. Or lie and say you had a death in the famil, that'll give you 3 paid days off to try out the other job...

a national acrobat
12/10/2007 1:20:00 PM
i say talk about it with the boss and see what he does to assess your value to his company, if he doesn't feel the need to give you what you need, then why work there?
uthoughtuknewme
12/10/2007 1:27:00 PM
i'm supposed to be starting this new job and the offer should be emailed...i haven't gotten it yet...so it gives me basically no time to talk to my boss about it.

Sandy Dickhands
12/10/2007 1:29:00 PM
then you've got no time to talk to him about it. but don't base your decision on that. you have to treat it like a business decision and do the smartest thing for yourself. the bottom line is that they'd do the same to you if it suited their best interests.
hanszimmer
12/10/2007 1:30:00 PM
call in sick tomorrow and go try out the other job? then call him later on that evening, if possible. tell him you got a call early that day and if he's as understanding as you describe, i'm sure everything will work out smoothly. that plan isn't exactly flawless, but that's a pretty tough predicament you're in.
a national acrobat
12/10/2007 1:30:00 PM
Originally posted by:John Cockson

KILL YOUR PARENTS

KILL YOURSELVES

SATAN LIVES
uthoughtuknewme
12/10/2007 1:43:00 PM
Originally posted by:insomniawesome

call in sick tomorrow and go try out the other job? then call him later on that evening, if possible. tell him you got a call early that day and if he's as understanding as you describe, i'm sure everything will work out smoothly. that plan isn't exactly flawless, but that's a pretty tough predicament you're in.

this is a good idea except that i won't even be on the jobsite for 2 weeks because i have safety training 1st.

but this is a pretty good idea.
wholesaletrash
12/10/2007 1:46:00 PM
so wait, you took the other job? i thought you weren't going to do it because of the drive....either way....this is business, you aren't going to use your current job as a reference because you haven't worked there long enough. so if you want to take the new position i would just explain it to your boss and leave.
uthoughtuknewme
12/10/2007 1:48:00 PM
yea i wasn't going to but when i did the math after taxes its like $600 more a month...and with my new car and laptop i could really use some more income until me and ian move in together.

because right now i'm paying so much for my place.
wholesaletrash
12/10/2007 1:50:00 PM
so just break it down for your boss. he is a business man, he'll understand.
uthoughtuknewme
12/10/2007 1:51:00 PM
i'll try...it's the timing thats sucking really bad right now
hanszimmer
12/10/2007 1:52:00 PM
Originally posted by: uthoughtuknewme

Originally posted by:insomniawesome

call in sick tomorrow and go try out the other job? then call him later on that evening, if possible. tell him you got a call early that day and if he's as understanding as you describe, i'm sure everything will work out smoothly. that plan isn't exactly flawless, but that's a pretty tough predicament you're in.

this is a good idea except that i won't even be on the jobsite for 2 weeks because i have safety training 1st.

but this is a pretty good idea.



honestly, it seemed like the best option to me. do you get a lunch break during your safety training tomorrow? maybe go somewhere pretty quiet and call him from there.