shaving 46 replies, 7640 views

Dan Conner
12/7/2011 12:28:00 PM
I think shaving is probably the worst thing in life. Right up there with mosquitos. My skin is so sensitive that I get razor burn/bumps no matter what I do, especially when I have to shave every day for work. I've tried just about every razor on the market, from disposables all the way up to the fancy Fusions and shit. Right now I'm using the Schick Hydro with Edge Ultra-Sensitive Gel (with the silver lid). It works better than some of the other things I've tried, but I'm considering trying an electric razor again, haven't used one since high school.

What kind of razor and shaving cream do you use, and why?
Dickscraper
12/7/2011 12:31:00 PM
i've never used a razor on my face. electric all the way.
Lifetime74
12/7/2011 12:34:00 PM
Mach 3 and edge gel. I agree it sucks, but I do not have any issues when I shave.
Dan Conner
12/7/2011 12:35:00 PM
Originally posted by: Dickscraper

i've never used a razor on my face. electric all the way.

Which one do you use?
Peter SteeleyDan
12/7/2011 12:36:00 PM
I can't grow a beard
kendraaa
12/7/2011 12:36:00 PM
I'm rather shocked you've never tried electric if you are that sensitive.
Otzi
12/7/2011 12:37:00 PM
Use a single blade safety razor.
Chris_High
12/7/2011 12:37:00 PM
Originally posted by: Lifetime74 I agree it sucks, but I do not have any issues when I shave.


also not shaving atleast until new years.
Tim E. Husk
12/7/2011 12:37:00 PM
Originally posted by: Dan Conner

My skin is so sensitive that I get razor burn/bumps no matter what I do,

Same, but it goes for electric, too, and no amount of sensitive skin products has ever fixed it.

Thank sweet lord Satan that I am not required to be clean shaven. When I don't have a full beard, I maintain a permanent 500 o'clock shadow with the trimmer on an electric.
hesinparties
12/7/2011 12:38:00 PM
Whats your routine when using a razor?

I don't have too much time, but I'd recommend the following when using a razor:

Hot shower using an exfoliating scrub on your face.
Immediately after shower, apply pre-shave oil and shave cream/gel/your preference.
Fill sink with hot water.
Shave SLOWLY and with the grain
After done shaving, wash your face off with extremely cold water.
Apply after shave lotion of your choice.
Dan Conner
12/7/2011 12:40:00 PM
Originally posted by: kendraaa

I'm rather shocked you've never tried electric if you are that sensitive.

Last time I tried one it just plain didn't work. My facial hair grows in all sorts of weird directions, which I believe is partly to blame for all the irritation. The hair on my neck grows sideways, forcing me to shave sideways in order to get a close shave. My neck/throat is where I get all the irritation, mostly to either side of my throat. My face doesn't ever get bothered, it's all on my neck. I also shave in the shower. Used to shave after a shower, but I've found that it works better for me in the actual shower for some reason. I'm assuming its the steam.
Dickscraper
12/7/2011 12:40:00 PM
Originally posted by: Dan Conner

Originally posted by: Dickscraper

i've never used a razor on my face. electric all the way.

Which one do you use?

honestly i've used the same wahl beard trimmer setup since i was 13 years old. i won't know what to do with myself the day that thing dies.

looks like this if it came out 11 years ago



click here for link
mrdtb123
12/7/2011 12:41:00 PM
You might think this is ridiculous, but in the end you end up saving more money and you get a better shave. I got my "Art of Shaving" razor for $65 on sale. It's the Mach 3 and I pay $14 for the shaving cream. It's the best shaving cream I've ever used. It lathers up really well and last a long time

A lot of times, if I use something else and I spray a cologne on my neck it stings. Also, I have very sensitive skin aswell. So I hate that feeling. After
using this stuff my face dosnt sting / burn it feels fresh and soft.

Worth every penny. Would buy again



Dan Conner
12/7/2011 12:42:00 PM
Originally posted by: hesinparties

Whats your routine when using a razor?

I don't have too much time, but I'd recommend the following when using a razor:

Hot shower using an exfoliating scrub on your face.
Immediately after shower, apply pre-shave oil and shave cream/gel/your preference.
Fill sink with hot water.
Shave SLOWLY and with the grain
After done shaving, wash your face off with extremely cold water.
Apply after shave lotion of your choice.

I shave in the shower. I don't use any after-shaves. Every one I've tried has made me break out. After I exit the shower I splash cold water on my face.
Dave B.
12/7/2011 12:44:00 PM
Originally posted by: Collin Trabocco

I can't grow a beard


same
Otzi
12/7/2011 12:44:00 PM
Try witch hazel.
Ron Shark
12/7/2011 1:23:00 PM
I only ever use a razor to shave the "soul patch" area. I can't stand hair there, so I do it daily. I rarely shave anyway and if I do it's just to trim my beard up and done so with an electric shaver.
smorgasgeorge
12/7/2011 1:43:00 PM
Multi-blade razors lift your skin up and then chop that skin off, leading to insane irritation. I have extremely sensitive skin and have found that a double edge safety razor works phenomenally.

Rinse
Face scrub
Art of Shaving pre-shave oil
Eshave lime or almond cream applied with a badger brush
Razor with a Feather blade, 2-3 passes
Shock the skin with Old Spice then rinse it off
Finish with Trumper's lime skin food
baconanddrugs
12/7/2011 1:50:00 PM
lol at electro shavers and multi blade razors of the mach variety, you will get a consistently better and closer shave with a single blade safety razor. this thread needs some serious manning up. Get yourself a badger brush some Taylors of Old Bond street sandlewood shave cream and a safety razor and learn to enjoy shaving like a proper human.

Also use an after shave gel with little or no alcohol, alcohol dries your skin out and makes you look old.

hesinparties
12/7/2011 1:53:00 PM
Cumsley/Smorgas,

Link me to some recommended single or double edge safety razors.

Thanks in advance.
Otzi
12/7/2011 1:53:00 PM
I've been tryin to man up and get a straight razor for so long now.
baconanddrugs
12/7/2011 1:54:00 PM
Originally posted by: Dan Conner

I think shaving is probably the worst thing in life. Right up there with mosquitos. My skin is so sensitive that I get razor burn/bumps no matter what I do, especially when I have to shave every day for work. I've tried just about every razor on the market, from disposables all the way up to the fancy Fusions and shit. Right now I'm using the Schick Hydro with Edge Ultra-Sensitive Gel (with the silver lid). It works better than some of the other things I've tried, but I'm considering trying an electric razor again, haven't used one since high school.

What kind of razor and shaving cream do you use, and why?

Kiehl's makes a pretty amazing treatment for razor bumps that works super well, its pretty expensive but worth the ivetment if your skin really gets that irritated, also switching to a single blade safety wil change your life after you get used to the weight of it.
chocolate juice
12/7/2011 1:57:00 PM
These come highly recommended. I've struggled for years with razor bumps and irritation then I switched from blade to detail clipper and all natural aftershave products that contain no alcohol. My skin is extremely sensitive but the detailer allows you to adjust the blade depth so you can experiment on what suits you best. I guarantee satisfaction.



Otzi
12/7/2011 1:57:00 PM
Originally posted by: hesinparties

Cumsley/Smorgas,

Link me to some recommended single or double edge safety razors.

Thanks in advance.

For me, the blades you use seem to make more of a difference than the actual razor holder or whatever you want to call it.

These are the best I've used so far.

click here for link
baconanddrugs
12/7/2011 1:58:00 PM
Originally posted by: hesinparties

Cumsley/Smorgas,

Link me to some recommended single or double edge safety razors.

Thanks in advance.

anything off of www.classicshaving.com is great, you can get decent safetys at the Art Of Shaving at the KOP mall as well, be prepared to spend a little money but its one of the best investments you can make as far as male hygiene goes. I would personally reccomend a Merkur 34C with merkur blades, you want to change your blade every 4 to 5 shaves for optimum performance. I would definetly reccomend Taylors shaving cream or Truefitt and Hill which is the absolute best but a little more expensive and harder to find, not a fan of the AOS shave creams at all.


Originally posted by: Otzi

I've been tryin to man up and get a straight razor for so long now.

I'm going this route soon myself still a little sketched about doing my neck with one though, and as bad ass as it is your shave will actually be pretty sub par comparitively as its hard to get as close when using one on yourself.
chocolate juice
12/7/2011 2:00:00 PM
I forgot to mention that the main reason for razor bumps is due to alcohol based products closing the pore before the hair gets and chance to grow to the surface therefore getting trapped and growing the wrong direction. It's been forever since I've had an ingrown hair/razor bump due to the after shave lotion posted above.